Gerard is a Senior Associate at Young Hunter heading our employment (advisory + dispute resolution) team. He has considerable experience representing employers and employees in all aspects of employment law including employment agreements, independent contractor arrangements, employment policies, restructuring and redundancy, employment investigations, privacy law, discrimination, bullying, harassment, dispute resolution (litigation) and complex settlement negotiations. Gerard is an experienced litigator, regularly appearing as an advocate in employment-related litigation. Gerard is also a regular media commentator on employment law issues (including for the National Business Review).
Gerard’s journey: Gerard has previously worked for national and international law firms practising employment law and litigation. He holds a first-class honours degree in law from Auckland University of Technology as well as bachelor’s and master’s degrees in education from the University of Auckland – where he also studied history.
Recent Advisory Highlights:
- Advising multiple employer clients on successful restructuring and redundancy processes.
- Assisting client on managing their employment obligations during its acquisition by a ‘big four’ global accounting firm.
- Negotiating settlement of alleged Health & Safety breaches against NZ franchisee of global pizza business without reputational or financial losses to client.
- Negotiating settlement of serious harassment allegations against a senior executive in a major public institution.
- Representing senior academic staff in legal challenge to a university’s $21 million proposed restructuring and redundancy process.